Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Sickness Is Miserable

     This has been a very long last couple of days. (And I'm really done with feeling sick.)

     Had a Latin test last Wednesday, Thursday everybody pretty much bombed our last style quizzes, which was frustrating and unpleasant. It was gloomy and raining Thursday, and cold. We were assigned an essay to write in lit, that's due this Thursday. Need to get started on that. Meant to write it over the weekend, but...

     It's still a deep freeze, pretty much, inside Ross, so that's hard to deal with. Friday morning I woke up not feeling quite right, worse than the previous few days. By the end of nutrition I was a little afraid I'd just collapse if I didn't lay down or something, so I skipped psych and went to go find Dr. Faulds to tell him I wouldn't be at Latin. Then I head to the convenience store in Leoser for my make-do sickness get-well-kit, a package of mini donuts and a Powerade("Cause those Powerades, now, they're really good...") If you don't feel like eating, at least that's something that usually stays down.
      I then go down to the clinic in Wyly (Is it just me, or is it just so NSU to put the clinic in a building that had been condemned as a dorm?) and schedule an appointment, work on filling out the paperwork and working on Monday's psych quiz, the appointment went easier than I expected. They thought I had a sinus infection, prescribed some antibiotics, and then I called Grandpa for a ride to Walgreens.
   
     Got the medicine, then spent the night watching TV (sorta...) with Grandpa and Robbie and the dogs. Head back to the dorm just before lunchtime, have a strawberry milkshake for lunch, and futilely try to think while working on the psych quiz, I was basically just circling random words, almost. I had(and have) a massive headache, my temp is swinging from a snowman to a lightbulb, horribly congested, extremely sore throat. Felt nauseous(is that the right word, or would it be "nauseated"? I don't feel like thinking about proper AP style right now...) and other stuff too numerous to mention. Basically I was just miserable, curled up in a  little ball wishing...pshh, I don't know what. Not really thinking about anything, really, just hoping the sickness will go away soon.  (Edit out the second verse, and this tune would sort of fit. It was stuck in my head all weekend, anyway. Great wordplay, I've always thought. )
     Had to take a pill at midnight, so to keep myself awake I was watching the baseball game. That. Was. Insane. Tied at 4-all in the bottom of the ninth, runners on second and third, one out, Jon Jay grounds out to shortstop Dustin Pedroia, who throws to home and catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia tags Yadier Molina. Two outs. But the play isn't over! Saltalamacchia fires a throw to third base, trying to get the double play, but the ball skips away from third baseman Will Middlebrooks, who then flops down in the basepath and trips Craig. (!!!!!) (See replay here.)  CARDINALS WIN!!!! I was shocked, Mrs. Boyer was stunned, and everybody on Facebook was shaking their heads.
   
     Slept for about two hours Saturday night, woke up at 2:24 a.m. It was miserable. Seven hours of throbbing headache, can't breathe well enough to sleep with the congestion, hoping to throw up but can't...ugh. Listened to some the Gospel Show on 99.5 with Grandpa once he woke up, then went back to the dorm, had a better-than-average-but-still-bleah caf lunch (their pancakes are usually pretty good, actually, but banana flavor...not so much. And it's always specially horrible on weekends.)
     They've been out of coffee, so the machine is filled up with decaf (yuck!), and the Chick-Fil-A dispenser's Diet Coke setting hasn't been working very well for about the last week, I keep shooting my entire hand with the stuff.
     It was good to visit with Grandpa and Robbie, though. But really, these were more the reasons I went over there: A, It's warm.(unlike the dorm) B, Food and pop. (I'm completely out of groceries) C, It's a real house. (not sure why that matters, but it does)

     Finished the psych quiz Sunday afternoon, did a nutrition assignment, watched some of the NASCAR race, and otherwise just did as little as possible. SWAT had a program to do that night, I couldn't be a part of it, unfortunately, but I could still shoot video. We go to McDonald's afterwards for dinner because we're all famished, I go to bed super early, I was asleep sometime before 11 p.m. Missed the game, Boston won 4-2, and then again tonight 3-1. Rats.
     Woke up around 2:30 a.m., fell asleep about 4 and woke up for good at 6:45. So I got about five hours of interrupted sleep, and I've been awake for about 41 of the last 48 hours. Made it through all three classes, though, so that's good. Made a 44 out of 50 on the quiz, which I'm happy with. Latin moved classrooms due to technical problems (the projector was locked in the "down" position with no way to bring it back up), so we moved to a different classroom and had to re-figure out a new seating arrangement.
     Sort of maybe figured out my spring schedule, still a bit to work on, but got an idea now of what to take.

     It's supposed to rain again most of the rest of the week, yay. And I've got a bunch of new assignments to tackle in nutrition, that essay to write, the psych test to take Wednesday...and I'm feeling better, but still definitely not well. I'd really like to just sleep for forever, is that allowed?
     Rereading a lot of my old posts from over the last year here for the last couple weeks, that's been interesting, and kind of amazing that I got through. Sort of odd, though, like reading through old newspaper articles. "Wow, wish I would've seen that play....oh, wait...I was there..."  The Thunder start their season on Wednesday night.
     Random Quotes of the Day(like Random Songs of the Day, things that pop into your head on repeat for no good reason): "I am not dying for six college credits!" - Darcy from Thor, the Pledge of Allegiance(why?),  the Tooth School Pledge from Laurie Keller's Open Wide: "I pledge allegiance to this mouth, and to the dentist who takes care of us. And to the gums on which we stand, strong and healthy, with toothbrushes and toothpaste for all." and a quote from one of the later Anne of Green Gables books, possibly Rilla of Ingleside? (Susan and Miss Cornelia are catching Anne up on all the latest gossip. Susan: "...and there was another visiting preacher at the Presbyterian church the other day. He picked the absolute worst candidating text you could imagine: 'Curse ye, Meroz!' And every time he'd get stuck for a point, he would pound on the pulpit and bellow, 'Curse ye, Meroz!' I don't have the slightest idea who Meroz is, but he was very thoroughly cursed that day, Mrs. Dr., dear.")

No comments:

Post a Comment