Sunday, November 1, 2015

Glad This Week Is Over

     Last Saturday in Stillwater, a lady crashed into the the Oklahoma State Homecoming parade. She killed four people and injured about fifty others, most of them pretty seriously. Nobody I know over there was hurt, but that's made for a really weird week. Things like that shouldn't happen. But they do. You just feel so helpless. Tuesday Mom texted me that Grandpa's cancer was back, and it's bad. He has maybe six months. While not anywhere near the level of awfulness as those events, Monday I found out that graduation got pushed back another six months, and classes all this week did not go too well. I taught Lit Traditions this week; about a bizarre graphic novel called Daytripper, which is basically all about death. I didn't like it much, got basically zero help from the guy I was working with, and there was almost no discussion in class. I've gotten very little sleep at all this week.

     Finished watching Friday Night Lights yesterday; that was a good example of how to end a show; wrapping up most of the characters' stories in Dillon while leaving some vaguely unresolved, allowing viewers to figure out for themselves what happened. Watched Million Dollar Baby a couple weeks ago cause it has Clint Eastwood in it; he was great, but it was hard to watch sometimes.
     Reread Macbeth for next week's Shakespeare last night; which seemed appropriate, I guess, being Halloween. That's probably my favorite of his tragedies.
     Simmons pretty much broke the hearts of the entire audience on Tuesday's episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 

     Mom, Courtney and Caleb went to Jasper, Arkansas, for the annual GBC hike, which sounds like it would have been fun. Hopefully they had a good time. I think the BCM state volleyball tournament was this weekend. Didn't know any RiverHawks playing, and if RSU sent a team, they wouldn't take it seriously. And volleyball must be played very seriously. 
     It was NSU Homecoming; which was highlighted by a JOSH TURNER CONCERT AT THE NEW ARENA. Seriously, why didn't that happen while I was there?

     I've just been trying to pound out essay after essay and deal with a mountain of stuff to do in my cold apartment with zero energy or motivation to do anything productive.

     Songs of the Day to begin November were Tim McGraw's "Don't Take the Girl" and Carly Rae Jepsen's "I Really Like You", which is a bizarre juxtaposition. But Songs of the Day usually are strange that way...They were followed soon after by Taylor Swift's "Forever and Always".

     So now we can start counting down to Thanksgiving and Christmas, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment