Monday, August 22, 2016

Hymn-Filled Weekend

     The weekend got a little better. Mom wanted to see Ben-Hur, so me, Courtney, Caleb and Trevor all came along. Morgan Freeman played a rich Arab guy, and he was the best part of the movie. It was all right, but not like my favorite movie ever or anything. It really tanked at the box office, though - out of a $100 million dollar budget, the opening weekend earnings was only about $11 million. Ouch. 
     Rags was very glad that I was home again for a bit, and so was I. 
     The Olympics ended Sunday night, with the US winning the most medals, 121 of them. China was next with 70, Great Britain in third had 67, Australia was eighth with 29, and Canada was tenth with 22. Altogether, there were 88 countries who won medals, out of something like 200 total. PluggedIn's blog had a good recap. 
      We tried to keep up with it as much as we could, with the disappointing result that we witnessed far more water polo and men's diving than anyone should witness. But the abundance of volleyball is a plus. 

     My stomach's been really upset today, but that just happens sometimes. Still don't know anything, really, about my roommate. There's only been one fire alarm so far, and a weather drill was tonight. That was only moderately nerve-jangling, as opposed to a fire alarm.

     There was an interesting article I read on the Art of Manliness blog about the history of the feminization of Christianity, which touched on a lot of points I have trouble with in the modern church generally. For example, the sissification of worship music. 
     I wished I could have made the Saturday morning sermon on glorifying God in depression, since the Gundersens are spending three months in Jasper starting last night. They'll be very much missed by everyone, but hopefully it will be a productive and useful resting time for both of them. 
     Church was really good yesterday morning. Most of the service was given to Matt Ferguson as he gave his testimony, and then he was baptized afterwards. Mrs. Rusco said to somebody while we were all assembling in the parking lot, "I love how plain our baptisms are. It's just - water, and you. That's all you need, really; there's not really any need for fancy stuff." Josh and Sara were there visiting, because of course they couldn't have missed this, and neither could the Grahams. And then Josh finally found an internship, which is more great news. It was one of those times that's hard to put into words, but cheers the spirit somehow. 

     Texted Ashland and Dylan this morning, it was good to hear from them. They're both hanging in here so far this semester, which is good. And knowing that everybody else is struggling, too, makes things a lot easier to deal with. Still trying to get used to my new phone. Mostly finished the SGYC wrapup post last night, I just need to do some tweaking here and there. Steven and Amanda have both provided encouragement, too, which is always helpful. 

     Songs of the Day were "Trust and Obey," "What a Friend We Have in Jesus" and Relient K's "For the Moments I Feel Faint". Most of the day was spent studying; took care of sending the needed documents where they needed to go for financial aid, so I'm sort of proud of myself for getting that out of the way so early. About came unglued several times this morning in Children's Lit when the subjects of homeschooling and classical education were trashed, but I didn't snap anyone's head off, so that's something. Last night was one of those rough nights that are good for prayer, which are to be preferred to the rough nights that aren't. Didn't sleep well at all last night; waking up about once every fifteen minutes for four hours, then getting a handful of real sleep, which came during the time I was going to study. And then I tried to take a nap, which didn't work, either. So I'm just blogging with Pandora tuned to my "Decent Christian Music" station, trying to wind down some. I might find something on Netflix in a minute, if this doesn't work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment