Sunday, October 23, 2016

Fall Break

     Fall break was this week, which was kind of nice. It was Courtney's birthday on Friday, so we went hiking at Turkey Mountain with Mom and Caleb. That was fun, and it was a beautiful day. Even the Arkansas River looked pretty, somehow.

     Homework for this week will be lighter than usual, I think. The last couple weeks have been incredibly hectic. I'll be presenting my capstone proposal Friday morning, which sounds a little daunting, but it hopefully won't be too bad. If it gets accepted, I'll be trying to prove the literary merit of country music lyrics, and why it ought to be considered a form of literature.

     The post-Durant era of Thunder basketball begins Wednesday night, so it'll be another season full of intense roller-coastery emotions. The World Series also starts Tuesday, and it'll make history, however it ends up. The Cubs haven't won the Series since 1908, and the Indians haven't won it since 1948. They were last here in 1997, losing to the Florida Marlins in Game 7. (I remember watching this game; I was four. Bob Costas is still who I want to be when I grow up.) The last time the Cubs were in the World Series, it was 1945, and the Japanese had finally surrendered.
     While it would have been cooler if it had happened last year (since the Cubs won the 2015 Series over Miami, according to Back To The Future Part II), one year off isn't bad. And the Indians were in serious jeopardy of moving to Miami in Major League, so that connection almost holds up. As a Cardinals fan, I just can't quite bring myself to cheer for the Cubs, so I'll be pulling for the Indians to win. (Besides, if Elizabeth and I ever agreed on a sports-related topic outside of the Thunder, the world might explode.)
     The BCM state volleyball tournament is this weekend, either at UCO in Edmond or in Shawnee at OBU. Hoping the NSU teams will do well.

     There was a country-themed dance held on campus Tuesday, and I dropped by that for a bit. It was kind of fun - I sort of picked up how to line dance, finally. It's not the same as a square dance, obviously, but it was still enjoyable.

     November is coming up soon, and that means time (officially) to begin working on a new NaNoWriMo project. I think I'll try again this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment