Sunday, March 26, 2017

Stormy Weekend

     It's been a stormy weekend; not violent, just there, enough to remind you that you live in Oklahoma, and ponder curiously how much the weather plays a role in our daily lives (even if we aren't storm-crazy, like Stephen, Justin and Ashleigh from the BCM.) Speaking of which, Justin and Ashleigh just started a photography business, so that's cool.
     So I've stood outside in the light misty rain and watched a lot of enormous lightning, which has been followed by the sizzling type of thunder.

     Spent most of the weekend retyping old essays, I still like the one from Comp II about fairy tales. The 2002 Spider-Man is on for background noise at the moment. The Manchurian Candidate, a 1962 suspense movie starring Frank Sinatra, was the OETA Movie of the Week, and it was really good. Also interesting was the 2001 movie The Others, starring Nicole Kidman as a paranoid overprotective mother in post-WWII England. It was this week's movie in Gothic Film and Lit, and it was a terrific ghost story.

     At the start of Wednesday's psych class, knowing most of the class was freaked out by the test on Monday afternoon, Dr. Marrero sits down on a stool and looks at us gravely. "What do you guys know about buffalo?" he asks. (I thought, though I didn't say, "DON"T PET THEM!" SGYC reference. Still no word about a 2017 edition.) Silence in room. "Well, what do you know about cows?" More silence. "When there's a storm, cows will go crazy, running this way and that. They try to avoid a storm when it's on the way. But buffalo are smart. When buffalo see a storm coming, they run through the storm, because they know they'll get out of it quicker that way." (Here my eyes light up and I figure out the point of this rousing inspirational speech, delivered quietly in a pleasant monotone.) "When you see an obstacle, just push back against it as best you can and try to move forward through it. I don't know, you guys might not think this stuff is interesting, but I enjoy learning about animals. Specially buffalo. And horses!" So, BE LIKE RUMBLE.

     Dr. Marrero's speech reminded me of what Professor Semrow said once. I'm using one of my essays for her Intro to Lit course as a Capstone artifact.
     I need to write a short story and rewrite my main Capstone essay and reflective paper, but other than that I don't think there's much homework at the moment.

     With it being the start of another month on Saturday, the list of stuff on Netflix changes. In April, almost all of the Whedonverse will disappear, which I am not too thrilled about. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is still safe, as part of the MCU.) I don't care about Angel, or at least haven't seen it, because I'm not a huge Buffy fan. (Though a Whedon-led show about a private investigator does sound good when you just hear that sentence.) And Buffy is really useful as resource material when you're an English major, due to the coming-of-age and Gothic aspects. And the impact on pop culture. Firefly is a bizarre mashup of Western and sci-fi, and it works brilliantly, particularly when it comes to snappy dialogue or character development. Dollhouse is fascinating because most episodes the main characters play several wildly-divergent roles at a time, so it's interesting to study from an acting perspective. (Also, most of the cast was either from Buffy or Firefly, or would be reused in Agents.)

No comments:

Post a Comment