Monday, September 21, 2015

Middle of September

     Well, let's see....the Okmulgee Public Library's annual book sale was last weekend, and so we got about three hundred books. On Saturday read through The Hidden Life of Dogs by Elizabeth Marshall Thomas and When God Doesn't Make Sense by James Dobson.
      I think somehow I must act as an animal magnet. It's strange, but nice. Rags, Captain, Banjo, Darcy, Glory, Jellybean, Drysa....it's just "Wesley! Pounce!"

     In school stuff, I found that I don't particularly care for Edgar Allan Poe all that much, and was somewhat ridiculed by the teacher for never having read him before. Much Ado About Nothing back-to-back weeks, first for Lit Traditions and then for Shakespeare. That was good. And so I watched the amazing Joss Whedon adaptation at least six times in two weeks, plus reading the actual Shakespeare script several times, as research for two papers. As You Like It doesn't have much of a plot at all, and so it's hard to follow what's happening, but there are a lot of good quotes throughout. Drive Me Crazy is a 90's romcom that follows Shakespeare's general rules for structure pretty well. Melissa Joan Hart is the lead, and her dad is Stephen Collins(Eric Camden of 7th Heaven).

     Ordered the season two DVD of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. from Amazon; and bought Mom the first season DVD of Agent Carter as a birthday present. Season three of S.H.I.E.L.D. begins in eight days(not that we're counting the hours or anything...)  
     This weekend there was a (very small) arts and crafts show on campus, so I bought some art for my apartment, since it's a little sparse on decorations right now(I haven't even hung up Amanda's basketball hoop yet). And also, it would have been Mimi's birthday, and she loved arts-and-crafts shows, so that was kind of nice.

     The RSU BCM was showing The Princess Bride last Monday night, so I sat way in the back and quoted all the lines of the script to myself; finding out that, yes, I can do it accurately the entire way through. That was good to know. Reading through the William Goldman novel again right now.
     The Friday before that, they talked me into coming with them to a conference called Momentum in Moore, which all the schools go to, kind of like the Falls Creek retreat in spring. That was okay. It was fantastic to spend time hanging out with Annie, Bucky, Daniel P., James and Ja Li Si again. They were just as glad to see me as I was to see them. But I guess it's like 2018 now in our Pawnee Parks Department....which is sad. No amount of waffles and steak can fix that. Nor coffee runs. And it was very good to see Bob and Deb again. They taught a breakout session on trusting God through the difficult times, which was wonderful. Just the way their faith has carried them through everything over the past year...amazing to see. I mean, I knew it before, but they're the kind of people you want to emulate.

     Talked with Amanda for a while the other night, which was good. And Jon is using a picture I took of Abby Lee years ago as the cover for the new Heroes At Large single. The continued evaporation of the GBC congregation is worrying and disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment