Monday, January 30, 2017

Monday Night Blogging

     Last night was rough. Eventually I fell asleep, though. (Why don't "rough" and "though" rhyme?)

     Rags was really happy I was visiting home for the weekend. And Last Holiday wasn't as depressing as I thought.

     Brad Paisley's "No" is a Song of the Day. I've never liked it much, because it's always felt like a weak imitation of Garth's "Unanswered Prayers." Also, Randy Newman's "You've Got a Friend in Me" from Toy Story has been another that's been stuck in my head, possibly because there's been a cool video going viral of a dad and his daughter singing it together. (Hey, they also did "Tale as Old as Time" from Beauty and the Beast!) I hate the idea that that's being remade in live-action, but Emma Watson is a perfect Belle. The Fox and the Hound could never be remade in live-action (for one thing, it's too depressing), but if it ever was, I vote that Queen Latifah voices Big Mama the owl.

     Brent Musberger is retiring tomorrow - all the sports voices of my childhood seem like they're doing that lately, in one way or another. It's sad. John Saunders died last year, and Vin Scully and Verne Lundquist both shut off their microphones for the final time last fall. At least Bob Costas and Al Michaels are still around.
     The Pro Bowl still exists, apparently - it was on mute for a bit last night. And the Monday Night Football theme song still exists, though Hank Williams Jr. doesn't do "All My Rowdy Friends" anymore, which is frustrating, because he was fired after criticizing Obama. Read a book from the campus library called The Game's Not Over: In Defense of Football, by Gregg Easterbrook, which is one criticism against the NFL. That wasn't the best book ever, mostly stuff repurposed from his Tuesday Morning Quarterback column, but it was good to see somebody criticizing the NFL. I'm not sure I can like football again, but it's such a part of our culture that it can't really be ignored. Worked on a post a couple years ago from the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field Ross Hall, trying to explain my attitude as a grownup towards the game.

     I really should be working on homework, but I need to get something typed out first to get a good rhythm going. It'd be better if it were fiction of some type or destined-for-Kindle nonfiction, but those projects will have to be shoved onto the back burner for now while finishing this semester.
     Poked my nose into the RSU BCM meeting tonight, which was a bad idea - they're incredibly depressing and saddening, even more so than CCF at NSU. I think it has to do with the utter lack of anything approaching the gospel or biblical teaching whatsoever. Makes me very thankful Bob and Deb are doing such a good job leading in Tahlequah.

     January is already in the books. That's strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment