Wednesday, March 27, 2013

American Idol Season 12 Top Eight - Music of the Motor City Night

..."Huge sigh of 'Why did I just waste my time watching that?'"
Nicki and Mariah were like, matching...it was weird.
There was this plastic pink fairy wand everybody was playing with...that was strange.
Candice Glover - "Heard It Through the Grapevine", Marvin Gaye - UGH!!!!! !!!!! !!!!! The saxophone was strange, it was extremely theatrical, she is ALWAYS SHOUTING AND EXTREMELY ANGRY AT SOMEONE WHILE SHE'S SINGING! It was horrible. And nobody can do this song as good as Skylar last season.
Kree/Janelle - "Like A Prayer", Madonna - Spooky. With a twang. Very strange. Kree looked uncomfortable the whole time, Janelle looked like a dork. And the choir doing background vocals? I didn't like it, but Keith did. "That performance was so good - I'm not sure whether that says more about where late-80s pop music was, or where 2013 country is now...trying to figure that one out."
Lazaro Arbos - "For Once in My Life", Stevie Wonder - It started out so gentle it was almost laughable...and then when the tempo picked up, it was incredibly so. That was a shiny suit...that was ridiculous.
Janelle Arthur - "You Keep Me Hangin' On", The Supremes - First thing I noticed: "Wow...that capo is really high." It was a weird, unsettling, haunting performance, kind of creepy. TMM. I'd be super nervous playing in front of Keith Urban, too.
Devin Velez - "Tracks of my Tears", The Miracles - RED jacket....too upbeat. Totally disconnected. Seemed like a nice song, though. Nicki: "You reminded me of a ripe banana." Keith: "That's not what I was gonna say...."
Angie, Amber and Candice - "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me", The Supremes - Um....can there be a less attractive love song title in existence? That just makes you want to run away...which, actually, the performance did, too... It was OLD. Far too strong and in-your-face. Candice looked extremely out of place, she still sounded angry. Angie was overly flirty, Amber was just there somewhere.
Burnell Taylor - "My Cherie Amour", Stevie Wonder - Smokey Robinson had a couple of good quotes: "You could sing 'Lah..." soulfully." And the strangest mentor-advice quote I've ever heard on the show: "Could you sing the "Lahs" more softly?" There was a flute featured prominently. There was a blindingly white suit. It really seemed straight out of the Little Rascals. And was it playing in the restaurant on the cruise ship in the Parent Trap? If not, it should have been. Nicki was very annoying tonight.
Angie Miller - "Shop Around", The Miracles - She was in command of the stage. The high notes were very bad. And she was shouting pretty much the whole way through. Ryan had to ask, "What was...going on, there, exactly?" "I wanted to have fun."
Amber Holcomb - "Lately", Stevie Wonder - Very weird dress...TML...looked exactly like Michelle Obama....Shouting....it was a credits song....yawn....
Mariah to Ryan, "You can have my wand if you're very, very good."
Burnell, Devin and Lazaro - "I Can't Help Myself/Sugar Pie Honeybunch", The Four Tops - I liked this, the judges tore it to pieces. It was retro, in a cool sort of way. Lazaro's bow tie fit the song perfectly for once. The robotic dancing was awkward.
Kree Harrison - "Don't Play That Song", Aretha Franklin - How did she not fall down wearing heels that high? She was wailing the entire time, it was very dull. She's just not a solo artist, I don't think. If she had a band, something like Little Big Town, I can see that sort of working for her.
I didn't really like anybody. But tomorrow's results show ought to be worth watching, Colton Dixon and Keith will both be singing!

No comments:

Post a Comment