Thursday, February 11, 2016

AI 15.11 - Top 24, Part One

     I missed last night's episode, so I had to piece it together from YouTube clips. But hey, that's better than nothing.

La'Porsha Renae - "Proud Mary" by Tina Turner - Not a fan. I fell asleep during the opening, and then I hate this song, anyway. But even on Idol, there's been better performances.

Jeneve Rose Mitchell - "Angel" by Sarah McLachlan - She can apparently play fiddle, mandolin, guitar, bass, harp, flute, French horn, cello, banjo, ukelele, piano, trumpet and kazoo. (Can you top that, Keith?) She played the harp, which was odd, and it was an extremely subdued performance. It wasn't bad; just really hard to know how to critique it. Maybe a bit dull. "You're extraordinary. You really are. And I love the way you take risks." - KU. Jennifer got "goosies," which is a good thing.

Stephany Negrete - "Mamma Knows Best" by Jessie J - So....did she decide, "Hey, I can't sing that well and I won't get the pretty vote, so I'll just dance around onstage in leather pants and hope that's good enough?" Cause....it wasn't.

Sonika Vaid - "Safe and Sound" by Taylor Swift and the Civil Wars - Huh. She collects sheet music, but she plays piano by ear. (Also, how great of a name is "Sonika" for a singer?) I think this song was written for one of the Hunger Games movies? That's a really ugly dress. This song was pretty good, but in a Disney-cover type way. My opinion after comparing this to Taylor's original is that Taylor wins hands-down.

Avalon Young - "Love Yourself" by Justin Bieber - A Bieber song? Really? It actually wasn't that bad. Avalon just seems like she'd be cool to hang out with; and then she can sing, too. That was a really cool hoodie she was wearing.

Jenna Renae - "My Church" by Maren Morris - She'd barely even started when Keith whoops and hollers, "I love this song!" It was almost all right, there was just something a little off about this performance...and the Carmen Sandiego fedora didn't help. And the all-black made her look a bit witchy. She looked like she had fun, though.

MacKenzie Bourg  - "Say Something" by A Great Big World - That is a tiny guitar. And he just looks weird - like Kris Allen mixed with Peter Parker. But his voice is really good, in an unusually quiet way.

Thomas Stringfellow - "Creep" by Radiohead - Weird title for a song. He is extremely fluent in Pig Latin. None of this performance seemed to fit together, from the all-the-way-buttoned-up flannel shirt to the floppy farmer hat to the strangely-finished guitar to the extremely jerky strumming motion. I couldn't understand hardly any of the lyrics because of the wailing falsetto. I just didn't get it. The audience and the judges loved it.

Gianna Isabella - "I Put a Spell On You" by Annie Lennox - She really loves reading. "Now I'm really into horror books. I love the goriness of it all...but I'm not a serial killer, I promise." I haven't quite figured her out yet. Sometimes she seems like a goofy teenager, other times more like Haley Reinhart.

Emily Brooke - "I Am Invincible" by Cassdee Pope - Her guitar has autographs from Taylor Swift, Leann Rimes, Rascal Flatts, Lady Antebellum, the Eli Young Band, Steve Wariner and many, many more. If it was me, I would never play that guitar ever. It would just be an amazing decoration. Anyway, it's really weird, but I supposed fitting in a full-circle way, when Idol contestants do songs from The Voice's singers who have done well. Anyway, she looked petrified and it felt like a high school talent show. It was all over the place, which was ironic given the lyrics she was supposed to be singing. And while the dancing wasn't Megan Joy Corkrey-level awful, it wasn't good, either.

James VIII - "Love Lockdown" by Kanye West - Okay, that was cool. He got his guitar(which is awesome-looking) by earning his Eagle Scout rank in Boy Scouts. This was my favorite performance from him, but he's still really creepy. The judges were bored.

Jordan Sasser - "All By Myself" by Celine Dion - Good news: He got a haircut finally. Bad news: He's still intolerable. This was just....weird. "I felt it was a bit too theatrical for me, and I missed the heart." - KU. "That first 'all by myself' should have broken our hearts. Instead I was wondering about the key you picked to sing it in....I shouldn't have been thinking about that." - Jennifer. "You have a great voice, but that was real showoffy for me. Just sing the song!" - Harry.

     Keith's jacket was awesome, and it looked like Jennifer was going with an Attack of the Clones Padme Amidala look, maybe. I guess I liked Avalon and MacKenzie the best of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment