Friday, February 12, 2016

AI 15.12 Top 24, Part One - Cutting the Field

     WE HAD SCOTTY MCCREERY RETURN TO IDOL! Yes, that totally deserved all-caps. There was also a lot of other duets, none of which were as cool as Scotty's. And five of the contestants were sent home by the judges.

James VIII teamed up with a guy named Caleb Johnson, who is a rocker dude who won Season 13(which I did not watch.) Their song was "Gimme Shelter" by the Rolling Stones, which was just a lot of shouting. Caleb Johnson was the better part of this duet.

Jordan Sasser was paired with Fantasia(winner of Season 3), they did her song "I Believe", and this was A MESS. He kept crossing over into her space when he was singing, and it was just awful wailing like dogs howling at a police siren. Jennifer looked like she wanted to cry. "Be careful about upstaging the person you're on stage with," - Harry. "Yeah, when you sing a duet, do it together," Jennifer added.

MacKenzie Bourg had to sing with Season 10 runner-up Lauren Alaina, unfortunately. (I STILL REALLY HATE HER. I'll think of a reason later.) Anyway, they sang Lee Ann Womack's "I Hope You Dance", and it was appallingly bad. Like, I texted Mom saying I didn't realize you even could mess up that song.... I linked to the music video so that y'all can wash the nasty taste out of your ears. Anyway, Lauren....was herself. It made him extremely uncomfortable. And he wasn't used to singing coutnry, so he repeatedly messed up lyrics. "That might be the first time I've ever seen Lauren blush," Keith commented. "That girl likes you....I mean, I'm just sayin'..." "In case he didn't notice?" Jennifer laughs. "Sparks were flyin'!"

Emily Brooke also sang with Lauren earlier in the night sometime, they did Carrie's "Flat On the Floor", which is one of my least-favorite Carrie songs, and it was certainly one of Lauren's worst performances(of which there were many). I'm really glad I missed seeing this one on TV.

Gianna Isabella sang with Nick Fradiani, winner of Season 14(which I didn't watch). They did a song of his called "Beautiful Life", I don't think I would have voted for him. She looked like she was singing something from High School Musical. 

Stephany Negrete was paired with Ruben Studdard, winner of Season 2. They sang something called "Superstar" by a group called The Carpenters, and it was so exceptionally dull that I was reading an ESPN article the whole song. (Failed the Louise Test.)

Avalon Young was also paired with Ruben, they sang his song "Flying Without Wings", which was apparently his winning song. It was fine for a duet, but not great, and a little awkward, like most of them tend to be.

Thomas Stringfellow was the other person Nick Fradiani sang with, they did Michael Jackon's "Man In the Mirror." There have certainly been better Idol versions of this song. Besides, "This is awful!", the first things I noticed were that Nick Fradiani was wearing leather pants, Thomas was wearing suspenders, and you could clearly see all the hair on the back of Thomas's neck, which was yet another strange thing.

La"Porsha Renae was Fantasia's other contestant, they did "Summertime" by Ella Fitzgerald. I didn't like it much.

Sonika Vaid also sang with Caleb Johnson, they did the Adele theme to Skyfall, the newest James Bond movie that came out a couple months ago. (I don't understand all the fuss about Adele.) It was weirdly theatrical, but she does have a nice voice.

We're finally to Scotty's duets! (He was the winner of Season 10, quick history lesson.) He sang first with Jenna Renae, they did his song "See You Tonight"(link because it's such a cool video.) This was terrific in my opinion; Keith had the goofiest grin on his face the whole time.

Scotty's other duet was with Jeneve Rose Mitchell, and they did Montgomery Gentry's "Gone", which was one of his top performances(out of many). Click here. Anyway, Jeneve is crazy, so it was a little bizarre, but it was kind of enjoyable. It was also a bit of a train wreck. Keith couldn't even find words to describe it. After sputtering for several moments, he just said, "Look, I like you. I'm just gonna forget that performance ever happened."

     So those safe were La'Porsha(Rats, but I knew it), Avalon(which I was happy about), Sonika(still not sure), MacKenzie(okay), Thomas(SMH), Gianna(Meh) and Jeneve(Yay, I think?).
     Getting cut were James VIII(YAY!!!!), Jordan(YAYY!!!), Jenna(Rats; but I knew it), Stephany(Why was she even here?) and Emily(Too many teens with more talent).
     Next week we see Dalton, Tristan, Olivia, Amelia, Lee and Trent; and then during duets on Thursday night Chris Daughtry AND David Cook are back!
     Other notes: Keith and Scotty both had awesome leather jackets, and Harry has an excellent poker face.

No comments:

Post a Comment