Friday, February 24, 2012

About the title....

      So..if you were curious about the title...here's why...
     My first title I thought of was taken, so I was like, "Darn...okay...what else could I call it?" And, you see, I love quotes. Especially springing them out on people in the middle of ordinary conversation(they usually don't get it). And one of my favorites movies is "The Princess Bride", which is filled with wonderful quotes, especially obscure ones in weird places that most people wouldn't remember, having not memorized the complete dialogue. It(the title) comes from the famous swordfight scene just after the climb up the Cliffs of Insanity.
     After Inigo helps the man in black up the cliff, they have their short dialogue while the man in black catches his breath, we start to learn of Inigo's quest. Then, of course, they must commence their fight, as per Vizzini's orders. After the wonderful exchange of "Why are you smiling?"'s and "I am not left handed"s, in amazement at his fencing ability, the Spaniard can't hold his curiosity any longer.
    "Who are you???"
    At this point, according to the movie script, Westley replies, "No one of consequence." Now, see, even if it does fit as a wonderfully cryptic answer when you don't want to give your identity away to a man who's trying his best to kill you unless you absolutely must, it just wouldn't work well as a title of a blog. Sounds conceited and prideful in it's humility.
     BUT, we also have the book, which is even better than the movie, believe it or not, and in the book, Westley's reply is "No one of import." It works well in the scene, but again, fails miserably as a possible moniker. However, however, this line comes in two parts, each made up of a sentence. That was the first, then comes the second; "Another lover of the blade." THERE WE GO - It's an amazing line that William Goldman should have been very proud of. Obviously, he's an astounding fencer. Equally obviously, he doesn't want to give any more information than he has to. And, it must be noted, it leaves the readers wanting to keep finding about who this masked man is. And it works well as a title(besides, nobody else had thought of that one already).
     Me, well, yes, I am Wesley. With swords, I'm awful, never having tried using one before, except on Wii, where I failed miserably. But a blade can also be a tennis racket, could it not? And tennis, even if I am pretty bad at, is something I enjoy doing. (This could also be applied to Ping Pong, too; but I'm better at that, and it sounds dorkier). And it could also apply to a pen, which in addition to being a bridge, a shovel or a plow, can be wielded as a sword. And that is something I can sometimes do well, writing.
    Well, anyway, that's kind of why I chose the title I did. It's evasive, but it kind of answers the wizard's question, "Who are you?"  

2 comments:

  1. This is such a cool thought! I haven't seen that movie enough times to get the quote. Honestly, I thought it was a reference to the Bible being a "sword". Never-the-less, it's cool to know the meaning behind the title. :)

    ReplyDelete