Saturday, January 4, 2014

Errand Run in Okmulgee

     Run into Okmulgee today to run some errands, that was a good way to end the break.

     Mom had some library books to drop off, so we ran by there before it closed for the day. I love that library. It's such a beautiful building; and there's so, so many BOOKS! No telling how many thousands of books I've checked out and devoured, I've gone there since I was six, I know the librarians, there's the book sale in September, that was where my high school speech class met...it's home. Maybe not "home" like where your cat is, or a house, but in a way a little like home plate. It's the place you start from on your way through the basepaths of life and return to as much as you can. And the glass display case was full of Beanie Babies this month, so I had to look at all of them, and pick out the ones that I had. About half of them had once been part of my collection, and they'd played football and done all kinds of things in my bedroom in Broken Arrow or the living room in Morris. 

     From there we went to Southern Cross, Courtney was getting some strings for that bright orange guitar that I got after the ice storm, she's going to try learning to play. It was great to see Dale and Glenda again, their kids were in town for something and a couple grandkids, too. Just a real family-like atmosphere in there, the clutter of instruments for sale and those dropped off for repair, the smell of wood and polish and air-freshener. It was where I learned most of how to play guitar, where I've gotten my picks and had just about everything music-wise else over the years. I got a gig bag-case for my mandolin Summertime, I needed one, and some new cat-tongue- and fingerpicks. They asked about how school's going, the gentle teasing of good people to be around.   

     Then to Wal-Mart for groceries, I had to get a new stick of deodorant and a case of Diet Coke. It's been the place where we've shopped for groceries ever since we moved to Morris; where the lady who worked at the McDonald's that used to be there would save the new Hot Wheels cars that came in for the Happy Meals for me, where the homeschool group would ring the Salvation Army bells. 

     Drove past the YMCA, where my soccer and basketball games were held; past Sonic and Hopper's junk store and First Baptist, where we'd meet every week for choir and drama practice; Coleman's Bakery, Pat's Archery, the Best Western we stayed at just after the fire. I've spent a lot of time in Okmulgee. 

No comments:

Post a Comment