Wednesday, January 27, 2016

AI 15.5 Auditions - Misc. Highlights

     Last Wednesday's American Idol auditions were...almost boring. It was a bunch of highlights from everywhere, which made it hard to follow. But there were a couple bright spots.

      Miranda Scott, called "Po" because she loved Teletubbies as a kid, was wearing something that looked like painter's overalls, and her sister was on the show the year before. I just wrote down "Meh....", but the judges loved her.
     Clay Aiken to a wailing cross-dresser: "It was pretty damn bad. I ain't got time for this."
     Amelia Eisenhauer was a samurai fiddler, Southern and relaxed with a powerful voice, a storyteller type of thing. "There's this mysterious quality about you that I can't figure out....I guess that's why it's mysterious...." Harry's thoughts wandered off somewhere. "Your voice is really extraordinary," Keith praised. "I am so excited. I am gona get some chocolate cake, and...I am not going to scream right here." I liked her.
     Joy Dove was a LOUD black lady. Very exuberant performance; all Harry could say was "You just sing LOUD..." I hated it, but the judges enjoyed her singing. "You're so happy she's from Louisiana right now," Jennifer pokes Harry.
     Mackenzie Bourg has the same birthday as Harry, and he's also from Louisiana. He did something I'd never seen before: a medley of songs from all four judges. "Stupid Boy/Come By Me/Love Don't Cost a Thing/Making Memories of Us". He had weird glasses and hair, but his voice was all right, and he seemed like a creative dude. "I loved the first and fourth songs, I'd never heard of the others," Keith quipped. "You can't get more biased - Louisiana, he has my birthday, and he sang my song. But I like him!" Harry proclaims.
     Andrew and Adam Bridwell were nerds. Like, the Napoleon Dynamite type. Their performance was weird, and the only thing Keith could think of to say was that it sounded like "a Gregorian acid trip." (That's one of the best descriptions AI has ever had.)
     Jenna Renae was a klutzy pianist with a fantastic voice. "I'm so sorry - I just break things! It was an accident!"
     Mario Bonds was a high-energy blind black guy, and as Andy Griffith would say, he had a high roof to his mouth. The judges' rejections were extremely kindly worded.
     Adam Lasher fingerpicked his way through "Knockin' On Heaven's Door". His voice sounded cool.
     Emily Brooke sang a RaeLynn song called "Careless", which was interesting, since RaeLynn was a winner of The Voice, a member of one of Blake's teams. Anyway, Emily sang Carrie's "Blown Away" last year. It was a good imitation of RaeLynn's voice, but I'm not sure I would have let her through. It was nice guitar playing, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment