Wednesday, May 3, 2017

ADORABLE COATIMUNDI

     What exactly is a coatimundi? Kind of a South American raccoon, according to Wikipedia. And I'm pretty sure that they were on Kratt's Kreatures or Zaboomafoo at one point
     A girl named Cheyenne asked Dr. Marrero if she could bring her critter to Psych on Wednesday, since it was the last day of class. "Sure, I think that'd be fine," he shrugs. That critter turns out to be a coatimundi named Toby, who brings all traffic in the hallway to a standstill. So there's about twenty students and three professors all freaking out about how weird/adorable the critter is, and petting him. He acts a lot like a cat, so he would pounce from shoulder to shoulder, then move on to the next more-interesting person. Just about the size of Trevor's cat Timmy, his fur felt like that, too - kind of greasy but soft and very thick. Toby managed to sneak into the Writing Center, scaring Kenzie half to death. And Dr. Marrero was ten minutes late to class because of conducting a job interview for somebody (he's the head of the Psych Department, like Dr. Mackie is the head of the English Department). So we had more time to play with Toby before class, where he then ran loose, drank someone's Pepsi and surprise-pounced inside the hoods of everyone's jackets.
"What the heck are you?" Dr. Marrero asks Toby.

"I'm just gonna hide in the corner underneath the sign-in sheet."

"Never mind. I'll explore instead."

Toby tried to eat Brittany's ponytail at one point. The girl in the background is his owner.

     Because of course we were all snapping pictures, it was hard to pay attention. The Kratt brothers and Steve Irwin have been frequent discussion topics inside Baird Hall. 

     Yesterday morning I was supposed to meet a girl for a date, so I get to the coffee shop about fifteen minutes early and wait awkwardly for 45 minutes. Then I figure that traffic was busy (TRAINS), or finals studying slipped it from her memory. About 7 p.m. I get a text: "Omg. Sorry, I totally forgot." It happens sometimes.
     As I'm leaving the Centennial Center I spot Debra struggling to finish her fiction portfolio, so I say hi and we chat about work for a bit. Then in the afternoon Kenzie and I suggest edits for the next time Dr. Mackie teaches Gothic Film and Lit, what we thought worked, what didn't, etc.
     Not quite as unusual as Toby, but my former roommate Dalton brought his Lab/Pyrenees puppy Grace to the Chi Alpha meeting last night, which instantly made him the most popular person in the room. She plays soccer with ping pong balls, swiping them Pyr-style, but with silky Lab ears. Fluffy Pyr coat, but light brown fur.
     Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was another fantastic Framework episode last night. Talked about it with Trevor for a little while afterwards.

     The Kentucky Derby is Saturday afternoon. Going by the horses' names, I like Fast and Accurate, Always Dreaming, Untrapped, State of Honor, Hence, Sonneteer and Irish War Cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment