Thursday, March 15, 2012

American Idol Season 11 Top 12/11 - Year You Were Born Night

   By far my favorite theme.

   The judges sure were colorful last night, weren't they? A guy I know said JayLo looked like a tulip. They also had their "Let's give these people nothing to work with" thing going on.

   It wasn't cool that Jermaine was arrested, but at least we won't have to watch him any more. Felt bad for the producer.

   Anyway, here we go on the performances...

Phillip Phillips - Hard To Handle - He had stage presence, it was very cool, I liked it. That was a great way to kick off the show.

Jessica Sanchez - Turn The Beat Around - "And they voted. They did, they elected all the diff'rint ones of 'em that they liked, and she wasn't on there. She wasn't. Because she did, friends, she did exactly what her song said, and she turned that beat right around and is in danger of going home! She is!" (Said in Andy Griffith type voice.)
   It had a good beginning, from there...it was rough. Wild, all over the place. Shiny, shiny pants. Felt like a concert, and at that, it would've been all right. But we're not at a concert, we're trying to find the best singer in America that will sell records this year. And she ain't it. Judges' criticism sounded fake, like "We have to say something, and we need to say something encouraging, because if we said how we really felt about it, like Jimmy will tomorrow night, you'll be crushed." (This half of Jessica's critique said in my normal tone of voice.)

Heejun Han - Right Here Waiting - Voice wasn't quite right for this song, I liked it anyway. He was emotional, he was into it, he was feeling every little nuance of the tune, and it showed. Not perfect, but it worked. It was very authentic.

Elise Testone - Let's Stay Together - It was a boring song. Up and down, here and there...I felt like I was on a roller coaster. I hate roller coasters.

DeAndre Brackensick - Endless Love - I wasn't feeling it, quite forgettable. Really wished he would have done "Can You The Love Tonight" instead, like he planned originally. Then I could have had pictures of Simba and Nala falling in love instead of a weird-looking guy who's full of himself and who needs a haircut.

Shannon Magrane -One Sweet Day - Good. Were the notes a little too overpowering for her, though? She looked mad.

Colton Dixon - Broken Heart - GOOD. I loved that. Somebody set it on radio, please! Thinking of maybe downloading it, at least watching it several more times.

Erika Van Pelt - Heaven - Odd entrance, but it was kind of nice. I like that song(though now it's stuck in my head with Heejun's and that other Bryan Adams song from the Kevin Costner Robin Hood movie...) it was good.

Skylar Laine - Love Sneakin' Up on You - Don't mess with Mississippi girls...they'll smoke you. That was good, not her best, but again, she was the best girl of the night at this point.

Joshua Ledet - When a Man Loves a Woman - The crawfish intro was awesome("What if you have a shellfish allergy?" "Then you don't eat it." Channeling his inner Heejun, maybe?) Once the song started, though...it was pure torture. I detest that song, it's like a man's version of "Natural Woman" or something....EVERYone sings it, they all sound alike, and I can't wait for it to end. But hey, it could've been worse(like "Fever" or...)

Hollie Cavanagh - The Power of Love - She's likable, funny, her dad was hilarious("Hi, I'm Hollie Cavanagh. Wait...no, I meant, hi, I'm Hollie's dad...") When the cameras switch on, it's game time. When she hits the stage, she commands it. Blows all the other girls(yes, even Skylar) out of the water. It was kind of mesmerizing. Not my favorite she's done, but still, it was amazing.

Best of the night - Colton, Hollie. No question.
Good - Erika, Heejun, Phillip, Shannon and Skylar.
Forgettable - DeAndre, Elise.
In Trouble - Jessica, Joshua.
Arrested - Jermaine.

Who will miss out on the Top 10, and so not go on tour this summer? It's easy to say DeAndre, Elise or Jessica. Joshua was horrendous. People might not have voted for Heejun. Since I'm 0-2 as far as finalists go at this point(7-12 if you include my finalists list), this will probably be wrong. I say Joshua leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment