Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Encouragement from VeggieTales

   Getting ready for college can be kinda stressful. And a little scary. So...uncertain, of not knowing what's up ahead.
 
   Anyway, to procrastinate filling out the seventeenth or so application I need to finish, I watched an episode of VeggieTales with my little brother. (Was it nice? Yes. Was it slightly selfish? Uh...maybe. Does he hate VeggieTales? Unfortunately, yes. File under culture class, I guess.) He seemed to think it was okay, the one we watched was "Josh and the Big Wall".

   It was ever better now than I remembered then - the wonderful little background touches like the sheep falling over(a nod to "Dave and the Giant Pickle", remember?) or during applause following a rousing inspirational speech, a character asking Pa Grape; "How are we clapping?" His response: "I have no idea." The crazy, outlandish things like getting pelted with slushies, the priests playing "When The Saints Go Marchin' In" while the Israelites march around Jericho, or Jimmy and Jerry Gourd building the Wallminator 3000 rocket to blow the wall to smithereens.
 
   And of course, you can't forget Larry's Silly Song, can you? In this case, "The Song of the Cebu," usually ranked in the top three of all-time classic VeggieTales tunes. The reason Archibald was so hilarious in that is because of his rigid, tell-the-story-now, get-on-with-it demeanor, and getting all flustered at Larry, Jimmy, Jerry and Junior for their low-key attitude towards the unprecedented, multi-media event. "WHY is the sad cebu sad? Does the hippo SEE them? Is the poor mute cebu able to effectively communicate the imminent danger to the other passengers? Is the boy injured? Is the canoe wooden, or aluminum?" I can laugh, because I completely understand how he felt. I'm like that about watching movies, or reading books, or whatever, too, and get irritated with people who merely watch passively as entertainment, not trying to think deeper about every little detail. (Maybe that's why I don't watch much TV or movies, I'd drive everyone nearby insane with my questioning, minute inspections of every facet of how they told the story, and memorizing the entire script.)
 
   The was a song that first Larry, as Joshua, sang, and then Junior sang also, that goes like this, "God has given this land to us/No need to fuss, He knows what He's doing/The Lord has given this land to us/If we will follow Him." Fits well in the story, knowing that even though walking around the walls of Jericho to destroy them sounds crazy, but also knowing that God had a reason for it, some plan that they didn't see, they were going to try it anyway, just (more or less) trusting it would work, that God would lead them through it.

    Leaving this familiar world of home and high school into the college enviroment of dorms, studying for a degree, and who know what else is kind of frightening. But it's also just part of life, of growing up. Which brings a whole lot of things to think about, and wondering if the crazy thing that seems like it might ought to be started should really be tried or not. This is a confusing, post to follow, I imagine, since I can't even follow which way I want to lead these points to, but what I'm trying to say, I guess, was that it was just a blessing to be reminded that God's there, working things out the way he wants them in my life. If that involves some things that seems to me to be crazy, well...I just need to examine carefully if they're really something I need to do, and if so, hang on to wherever they lead.

   It's funny, though, that I've always pictured Jericho just like it is in the show - A tall, dark, menacing stone fortress set in the middle of an arid desert with no signs of life anywhere nearby.

No comments:

Post a Comment