Sunday, April 8, 2012

Recap of my week

    This has been a busy week, but a pretty interesting one.

   I've got these awards I give out to my Facebook friends each Monday, called the Random Status of the Week award. They're given out to the strangest, funniest or best-written status, and I pick one or two out each week to award. Is it slightly pointless? Kind of. But people seem to like them, and they brighten people's days, which is why I've kept giving them. (You'll find them all in a series of posts to be listed on here sometime next week.) Anyway, nobody had written anything especially newsworthy, so my sister Courtney and my friend Ash decided I should win my own award this week. And tomorrow marks the one-year anniversary of the RSW award.

   Well, that was Monday. Tuesday was a shopping day, stopping to get new glasses, then running by Sam's, Target, and someplace else I can't remember. Then back home for just a bit, then off again to pick up a Christmas tree found on Craigslist(to replace the tree that was melted in the fire, but that's not important to this story). You know what's funny? It was kind of enjoyable. After getting the tree, it was time for a Wal-Mart stop(the third in two days) to get some water and a tent, and then grab some pizza on the way home. While this was going on, I slipped on my "Advice Giving and Encouragement" hat to Sam(of CVS scotch tape purchasing fame), glad that seems to be an area God's gifted me in, but it sure is hard to know exactly what to say sometimes.

   Wednesday was an archery competition. Which is an interesting experience, because there's schools there, and you're competing on a mostly-even field. (That's strange.) I'm not that good at it, maybe because of depth perception issues, I don't know. Anyway, I was trying to break 80 points(a perfect score, if you're curious, is 150), and I managed a 102, which ordinarily would have put me on the bubble of making it into the second round, except that the other schools were outstanding this year. So our little band of ragtag social misfits only placed one girl into the medal round, she placed third, giving us reason to celebrate. Weird fact: Courtney is huge into archery, she's a great shot. I'm average at best. But my score topped hers by  eleven points(ha! Sibling rivalry here.) That lasted til about three in the afternoon, followed by American Idol that night, which of course had to be watched, notes taken, and then discussion debated with my cousins.

   Thursday morning we were off and running for a writing competition at the college I'm headed to this August, it was an enjoyable experience. I was one of the first students to arrive, so I watched the college students(they put on this event every year) arrange the last-second details, introduced myself to several people working at the newspaper and TV station, they gave me some advice on which classes to take, real helpful and friendly. I didn't win either of my sections(Sports Writing, huge surprise there, right?), but I wasn't expecting to. Softball was interesting, but not some of my best work, and for the live portion, it's a little tough to get good info out of a bored golf player, who's wondering why he agreed to stand in a classroom and be interviewed by eight high schoolers. Beach balls were swatted around volleyball-style, Katy Perry was blasting over the speakers(Somehow, it fit the setting well and was relaxing. Very weird.) The people from all the different schools that attended were interesting to watch, with their cheering on their fellow people who won awards and stuff. After my writing contest was over, and before the awards ceremony, I sat in on a question-and-answer session for yearbook/school paper advisors and staff, probably sounds excrutiatingly dull, but I enjoyed it, with the glimpses it gave into the planning and behind the scenes of getting the news(Whatever that might be) to people. Afterwards, I introduced myself to the lady in charge of the NSU paper, she was very friendly and helpful, gave me some advice on which classes to take.

   Part of life, for some at least, on campus is Campus Christian Fellowship, something like a college youth group, from what I understand, they have chapters at many, many different universities throughout the country, helping lead each other closer to Christ. Remember, both my parents attended this same school. Anyway, they were both involved in CCF, I've heard tons of stories about this guy who runs it, his name's Tom. Once my thing's done, I walk out of the student union to go get some lunch before going to my aunt's to visit her, and who is Mom talking to but Tom! We have lunch with him, he seems like someone I'll need to study for awhile. Just as hilarious and hard-working as Mom said, wonderful at making students feel like they have somebody to lean on, give good advice and make them feel important. We need more people like that in the world.

   Somewhere in this, I forget exactly where, I find out I got a scholarship, which is nice.

   Thursday night I babysit my little sister Amy, we watch the Idol results show, which ends happily, as an irritating contestant we all dislike is kicked off.

   Friday we go spend the day with some friends after catching up with the rest of the family, who was camping, a campfire is good for sitting and doing nothing by.

   Yesterday was mowing, and then getting the worship music for this week down. Pretty restful, catching up from the go, go, go of the previous four days. And I found out I got a pretty good-sized scholarship, which should pay for most of the my school costs. Huge answer to prayer right there.

   Today, Easter Sunday, started out pretty well. Got to church early, able to spend time with our GBC church family, the Sunday school music went well, the lesson was good, the sermon pretty good, then my pal Josh was baptized, so that was extra cause for rejoicing. Not having any special Easter plans, our family, along with several others, went over to another family's house for lunch, ping pong is a good way to spend an afternoon.

  Now, I'm taking a break from packing for a Bible conference in Louisville that we leave for tomorrow, double-checking I have everything I'll be needing. Should be a ton of great preaching, and hopefully some good fellowship, too. Should be and interesting week.

No comments:

Post a Comment