Thursday, July 4, 2013

A Rant Against Fireworks

     It's the Fourth of July. That means picnics for some people. For others heading to the river. Entering a team in the softball tournament for others. A day off work for nearly everyone. And almost everybody is shooting off FIREWORKS.   

     Fireworks are VERY BAD THINGS. They make extremely loud noises out of nowhere. They exist for no useful purpose, their only aim in life is to shoot flames through the air. They're messy. They're dangerous. They scare animals. And they smoke.  

     It's probably because of my eyesight, but those gigantic rocket-type ones, that go "whoosh" and make a massive ball that arcs downward, they always look like they're going to attack me. Cause they shoot, like, straight down, almost, and it's just....it's scary. 

     And the smoke....UGH. That is horrible, the fastest way to turn me from an ordinary human being into a mass of stressed-out cells with high anxiety. And the loud noises, in Ross, EVERY NOISE was loud and unexpected. And I didn't ever really feel safe anywhere there on campus. And with my eyesight not being that great, I generally use my ears or nose to find whatever I'm searching for more than my eyes. When something loud happens unexpectedly nearby, that probably isn't good. And so your "Danger" sense kicks in. 

     Caleb and Trevor are doing the Army-man Tank Battle of the Driveway later today, they were the only ones who really wanted to get fireworks. The small ground stuff is almost worse than the big night rockets, because it smokes more, and makes actual flames. (!!!!) 

     So, like I said, fireworks are very bad things. And as a line from a play my friends Annette and JB wrote a while back goes, "Doing bad things leads to more bad things, and bad things are simply bad." So anyways, if anyone needs me today, I'm gonna be hiding under a blanket reading a book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment