Saturday, December 14, 2013

Welcome to Christmas Break

     The fall 2013 semester is now over with, I'm happy to say.

     Yes, I'll miss people I've gotten to know, and I didn't learn as much as I would have liked in some subjects, but we're never really going to learn everything. So we just kind of have to get as much as we can out of the material and time we're given to work with. And I'll see friends again soon, probably, most of them, and then I may have another class later on with some of the teachers. 

     Monday night's late-night breakfast was moved a day later because of the ice storm, it was a slick walk from Ross to the UC, where it was held in the caf. There was A TON of students there; far, far too many people than ought to be in one place at the same time outside a convention or sporting event. And the food wasn't even that good, but it was at least better than usual. Thought about singing karaoke, but didn't. 

      Wednesday's Latin test went pretty well, I think, not sure on the final grade yet. On Tuesday the DeSpains mailed a finals survival snack package with a note, that was neat. Unfortunately, it was very well taped, and in opening the Wheat Thins box they were packaged in I sliced my left hand open pretty deep. Small cut, but it bled an awful lot. Sort of joking, but serious, I ask on Facebook if anybody on campus had any spare Band-Aids. Bree says "Yeah, I've got some." She gives me a couple, that covers it for a while. 

     Thursday morning I was woken up by my phone ringing just after eight, didn't recognize the number, so I ignored it, no message. About half an hour later it rang again, this number looked vaguely familiar. "Hello?" "Hi, Wes. This is Olivia," (Sort of an unofficial RA/landlord person for the faith-based floor) "I didn't wake you up or anything, did I?" "No, not really. What's up?"  "Well, Allison was trying to make sure Steven is ready to take a final at 9, she couldn't get a hold of him. Could you go see if he's still asleep, and wake him up so he gets to his test on time?" "Um, sure, yeah, I can do that." I knock lightly on his door, then jiggle the handle a couple times. After a minute he opens it sleepily. "Hey....sorry about that...the girls wanted to make sure you got to your test on time." "Thanks. What time is it?" I look at my watch. "8:36." That wakes him up. "Okay...whew. Well, thanks, Wes." 
     The Tahlequah Christmas parade was that night, I'd made sure to grab an early dinner and run back to the dorm, since the route went across Grand Avenue and all the parking lots would be filled with parade-watchers. Besides, it was sort of cold. So instead I watched The Big Green on Netflix and kept track of the little-noticed details. 
      It was an unusual day, but I lived through it a little easier than expected. 

     Got a 100 on my psych quiz on Friday, it took me 32 minutes to finish the test and I was one of the last two students to finish. And with that, it was time to head home, cause it was CHRISTMAS BREAK! And so I packed my stuff into the van and we headed home. ...At least until Muskogee, where I realized I forgot to pack my clothes, so we had to go back and get them, and the dorms close at five. We get back at 4:40, I race up the five flights of stairs, dodging people on the way, grab all the clothes in a big handful, then ride back down the Creepy Elevator of Death and we're off again, for real this time, at 4:48.  
     Dad's East Central Christmas dinner was that night, so we were immediately off to that. There was some good food. 

     Got to sleep around midnight, woke up terrified at 2:38 a.m. because of a nightmare. It was one of those cinematic dreams with plot, I was trapped in this building that was being blown up by the Green Goblin and some ice-controlling other villain who looked a little like the Joker. And there wasn't any sign of Spider-Man anywhere nearby. I get back to sleep pretty quickly, somehow(probably due to zombie-ness) near 3 and sleep until about 8, when Rags wakes me up. I fall half-asleep again, then wake up for good about 10:20, get up about 10:40. 
     I think I'm either just getting over or just coming down with something, since my immune system is kinda depleted with dealing with stress and everything. So haven't felt exactly great, but not really sick either. Mostly just extremely exhausted with a cough and chest congestion. It's irritating. 
     Just been reading, mostly, today, finished that history of small town America, and gotten most of the way through Louis L'Amour's semiautobiographical book The Education of a Wandering Man. Also played dominoes with Mom and Courtney, and there was a lot of Wii-playing while lamenting that all the best video games were for the PlayStation 2. 

     Church in the morning, probably, then I need to begin catching up on laundry. Not sure what else, other than a lot of reading and board-game playing and cat-petting and at some point Christmas shopping. 

No comments:

Post a Comment