Thursday, April 3, 2014

Hello April

     It's another verse of the same familiar story: I can't sleep, the temperature is off-target and my mind won't shut up. So naturally I start typing out a new blog post.

     Went home for a visit last weekend, which was very good. Saw a musical of "Fiddler on the Roof" that Courtney's old drama group put on; it was really, really good. Her friend Callie was in it, and a bunch of Fergusons. It was very well-done(but now I really need to see the movie.) Not knowing anything about the storyline kinda took away from some of the enjoyment factor. There were probably over thirty people from GBC in the audience; almost the entire Ferguson clan, most of the Steeleys, the Muellers, the Wilsons, the Mixes, most of the McNeils, us, and Bennett.
     Rags HAD KITTENS Tuesday night! (Can't wait to meet them.) That's a happy thing.

     Spent some time after classes were over tonight watching Full House, which was enjoyable. The video production courses are going a little better than I expected, started filming one of the two pilot news programs in Advanced tonight. That was a really cool experience; seeing the beginnings of what it will look like, knowing how thrown-together and low-budget it is. (We're mostly using personal equipment, as there isn't very much school equipment.) And most of the shows will be edited together in post-production, much like a movie's individual scenes are spliced together into one larger story after the shooting is done.
     Not used to writing in broadcast style yet, it's a little challenging. And so is stitching together video and audio and illustrational B-roll footage with the editing software of Final Cut Pro X(which is Apple, which I'm not generally familiar with). But hopefully by the end of this semester I'll have at least a working knowledge of how it works.

     Only a little over a month left to this semester - and so much to get done. Mostly for Media Management and Planning, but also Oral Communication. And Basic and Advanced Video as well. Okay, I guess I just have a lot of difficult courses this semester. (Guess that''s what happens when you take three high-level major courses as a sophomore? Could be worse, though; I could be trying to get a Bachelor's in science or business or accounting, or a Master's of any type.)
     Thinking I'll finally take Government in fall, and maybe Physical Science too, not sure what else to schedule.

     In a couple hours this year's Media Day will be held, it was two years ago that I first heard about it. (See this post.) That seems like a long time ago. Another T4G conference is either happening now or next week. I found this post I wrote about twelve months ago; most of it is still pretty applicable.

     Stupid Profile Picture Week is in full swing, and the special "Campfire" themed all-music Monday night meeting at the BCM went pretty well. Among the sixteen people on the worship team, there were eight guitars, two basses and two drum sets, with a keyboard, mandolin and tambourine as well. Oh, and about three videocameras the tech team was using to film a recap of the event. I mostly played mandolin, with a bit of guitar and singing.
     With the semester winding down, we only have four SWAT shows left, two of which are this coming Sunday. Over Christmas break I(and others) was praying that we would be able to expand the range of area covered outside of Cherokee County, and also that we would be bold in sharing the Gospel and encouraging people, etc. And so where are we going Sunday night? Muskogee... Hmm. (We were supposed to go there in late February or early March, but then one of the blizzards hit.)

     Amanda got engaged last week, I've lost count of how many people I know around my age (whether from the homeschool group, camp, YT or college) who've  gotten engaged or married now. And I just realized that the counselors my first year at SGYC were probably about the age then that I am now. Anyway, found that out Monday morning while chatting before classes, I'm glad for her.
     Jon's moved to Maryland to seriously pursue a career in music, here's a link to his official YouTube and Facebook pages. (Check 'em out!)
     Anyway, talking about this upcoming time of camp, Courtney is going crazy counting down the days. Well, most of the youth group is, actually. And Caleb is eagerly awaiting his first camp experience. If counselors are needed I'd be happy to help, but I think they'll probably have more than enough volunteers.

     For the THIRD YEAR IN A ROW I failed to play any pranks on anybody on April Fool's Day...sigh. Just couldn't come up with anything plausible that was realistic I guess there's always next year, though, right?
     It's been extremely hot and HUMID the past couple days, and the heater's still on inside the buildings....cue lots of general complaints about weather conditions taking up a measurable portion of class times. (It's actually been a touch cooler inside than out, I think.) But there haven't been very many bug-infestations recently, so that's a plus.
     Really hoping to find some folks nearby to go see Captain America: The Winter Soldier with this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment