Wednesday, January 23, 2013

AI-12 Auditions, Charlotte

     Welll....that was interesting....
     I enjoyed most of it, I think? ...After Keith left it kind of ran off the rails a bit....okay, a lot.....okay, the end sort of was a train wreck....but, uh, yeah, overall, it was a strange episode. They were in Charlotte this time, at Charlotte Motor Speedway, actually; so the new Ford Fusion got a ton of promo spots. Awesome NASCAR-themed intro, but Ryan didn't get to give his line. Nicki's first wig looked exactly like cotton candy. She was wearing pajamas the second day, Keith's T-shirt was cool.
     The Contestants -
Naomi who went first was SHOUTING. And...that's great that you can make your own clothes, but do we really need to see the homemade bra?
Joel the Napper...NO. And....bowing? Totally awkward from start to finish... sorry dude.
Brian the Bookkeeper seemed like a nice guy, but totally forgettable, and his voice wasn't that great.
Jimmy looked really weird, but he had a surprisingly good voice, he can sing, dawg!
Sarina was all right. Those other two in her montage, the squeaky lady and the blonde, were both terrible.
Matthew Excitement was murdering Brad Paisley....I would rather listen to Dolly sing the entire way through "When I Get Where I'm Going" than him. And the dancing....worse than Megan's! Or almost as bad, anyway! UGH!!!! Dreadful audition.
Isabel seems like a mashup of two of my friends, it's a weird personality blend. Good voice, disliked the choice of song. Her little sister with the Silly String is awesome.
Taisha the rocker was really good! Completely different sound from what I was expecting, I don't even like Johnny Cash or Alannis Morrisette and I enjoyed that.
Vote for Summer! (More on her audition later....)
Brandy was good, to start the second day.
Ashley(too many Ashleys on this show so far this season....)....ack. The nicest way I think of to describe her is Miss Piggy. But man, could she sing....that was insane.
Janelle, yes! Though I don't think I personally would sing one of a judge's songs if they were currently on the panel, she totally rocked "Where the Blacktop Ends", and then to transiton into a medley with "Walk In the Country", wow. Fantastic. And then she locked herself out, haha.
Rodney the Street Singer had a nice sound.
Candice....ehh. I didn't like her last season, that was bad black music, but here she is again and everyone is gushing about how enthralling it is...."agghhhh!!!!!" Female Joshua Ledet...
Ja'Bria the Frog Killer, uh-uh. It's a no from me, the judges were funny.
Brad....Unbroken stretch of Class Clown and/or Loose Cannon in school? I mean, your rapper name being Bacon? And then singing a song, not just from Aladdin, but the main song from Aladdin, "Whole New World"??? Funny, but....just weird, man. Not Norman Gentle weird, just...."Where the heck did that come from?" weird.
Sheriffa was the obligatory sob story...my attitude towards these "My loved one is in the hospital, etc, and I want to pursue my dreams and give them a surprise to boost them up, encourage them, yadda yadda yadda" stories is well documented (I get it, it's a rough time with the family. Which is why you don't travel 3,000 miles away from them...!!!) ....and then the theme song from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air? Neat that her daughter brought Nicki the teddy bear.
     The Quotes -
Ryan, while driving around the track filming the intro - "This is the most fun shoot ever!"
Family Dynamics at work...on entrance to judging room: Randy - "Charlotte Motor Speedway." Nicki - "Wanna race?" Keith - "I'd totally race you, Nicki."
Brian the Bookeeper, talking about his wife: "She makes me go sing in the basement." Judges look uneasy, preparing to be dismayed. "She totally loves Keith Urban, though. She had to go get her nails done, and her hair, and all, and I'm like, "I'm the one who's auditioning", but she's like, "Yeah, but I might get to meet Keith Urban!" Keith in mock horror: "She wouldn't make him sing in the basement, would she???"
Mariah in southern drawl - "Yaaaaaaaap..." Keith - "That was like a Beverly Hillbillies 'Yep!'"
Ryan, as Isabel is coming back to her family, where her little sister is poised to fire the Silly String all over the place - "Duck."
Nicki, whimpering - "Something about that was scary...."
Nicki, to Ja'Bria - "So, what do you like to do?" "I like to hunt. And fish." "Oh, you hunt? What do you hunt?" "Y'ever hear of frog giggin'?" (Blank stare from Nicki) "No." Randy - "Frog whatting? Gigging?" There was then a discussion on frog legs, how they should be prepared, whether they tasted good or not, and whether it was ethical to kill frogs. It was kinda entertaining.
Food was a topic of much discussion tonight....there were lots of "I'm starving!"s, including a neat exchange between Nicki and Keith. "I'm so hungry-!! What's that you're eating?" He looks at her. "Trail mix." "That looks good. Can I have some? I think from now on I'm just gonna snack on whatever he's having. Yeah, that sounds like a good idea, I'll just-" He rolls his eyes, digs under the table and tosses her a package. "Figured you'd want to share mine, so..."
They did a whole montage of Nicki's Nicknames, then later on Mariah to Nicki, in a grave, important manner - "She gave you A Nickname."
     The Random Miscellany -
The Coke Chase commercial was good, and the Beggin' Strips commercial. That Samsung ad with the video game company was awful, stay far away from that imaginary company!
Ford didn't have an actual ad this show, because of all the inshow promos, probably.
Why Keith left halfway through the second day: "Well, um...my wife is getting a film award in New York City tonight, and I wanted to be there to hold her hand."
On Summer's audition, I didn't exactly agree with anybody. I liked what Keith said, "You say you 'did the whole country thing', that's like saying 'Yeah, I did the whole brain surgeon thing' - You either are a brain surgeon, or you aren't, same with country music. You can't just try it for a while and then switch!" But they were really grilling her about being country, Nicki made a few good points too. "I feel like we're forcing her here to say something that she maybe doesn't believe, to lie, just to fit our show. You can't just peg her as "Country" and then move on, she has to find out what she is." And then everybody got into a huge fight and she stormed off to her room....but anyway....
It was cool to see Scotty again.
There were 37 golden tickets given out, that brings us to 125 in Hollywood so far.
    And so things just get stranger....

No comments:

Post a Comment