Saturday, January 12, 2013

Blog Post No. 100

     It's a new year: 2013. Which means that this blog is nearly a year old, Friday the 13ths will be especially dangerous, and a new semester has begun.

     So, anyways, not much has changed since the last time I was in Tahlequah three weeks ago. The bakery still is great, the caf not-very-good, rain is still a bad thing, Ross Hall being itself, and...yeah.

     Classes started yesterday(Wednesday), and so did my erratic sleep schedule....sigh. (TVs and slamming doors again.) I slept from about 11:45 to 2:00. Yes, you read that right. 2:00 a.m. So I tried to go back to sleep for a bit, then gave up, because I was too awake. So I reviewed my schedule, then got a Snickers at 5 a.m., where the Coke machine ate my dollar. I then went back to my dorm and watched SportsCenter and CMT with the sound on mute. Got to Seminary about two hours early, so studied for a while, then it was time for my first class, and it was (finally) time to get to work.
     I think I'll like Basic Writing. Counting me, there's seventeen people, and I recognize seven already. I'd met the teacher before, she'll expect a lot out of us, which is great, because it makes us better writers.
     Computers...that's a different story. I am not very tech-savvy at all, so it'll be an "informative" experience. (The teacher, who is also teaching my math class, apparently likes the word "informative". He reminds me of some character from a 70's cop/detective show, the guy who works in the police department.) I'm kind of scared. But, we'll see how it goes.
     Feeling kind of ill(more so than the usual "slightly ill" due to the constant temperature changes), I tried to take a nap. (See? Told you I didn't feel good.) It didn't go so well. Any time I got to sleep, I was being chased or shot at or something, and then I'd fall down some stairs or the ground would drop out from under me, or there'd be a slippery something....very rattling.
     I go to Morgan's for a Tiger Cookie and a gingerbread man, then get to sleep super early.

     I always check my watch first thing whenever I wake up. Thursday it read 10:15. I cannot remember EVER sleeping that late. It wasn't a good way to start the day. By 10:32, I'm in the science building, waiting for my 11 a.m. math class to start. The science building is completely on the other end of campus from my dorm, and it was raining. Also I didn't eat breakfast. But I think I'll be able to hang in there, if I just attack it like I did the SAT.
     Although I guess if you must sleep incredibly late, it's better to be in an interesting dream while doing so... Usually my dreams are very cinematic in quality, just like watching a movie. Not only am I watching the film, but I also have a role in it. This time it was near the end of the film, my character(I never learned his name) and his sister Elizabeth stumble into the bad guys' secret lair or hidden mine or whatever. Except it was in a deserted alleyway. Anyway, we're trying to figure out what to do, when the bad guy, a large balding very angry man, finds out we found this spot out, so he tries to kill us, by bashing us over the head with a large heavy snow globe-type object. I somehow wrestle it away from him, and then this older lady, who we're kind of scared of, she seems mean, barges in and in so doing, distracts us all. Turns out she's a very nice lady, famous, but misunderstood, so she just seemed to be mean and unpleasant. Well, while we're all distracted, the man throws a kitchen knife at us(it's one of those freakishly long and sharp ones), it's hurtling at me, and the lady deflects it with her umbrella. The knife falls to the ground off to our left, the man is charging towards us, everything is in confusion - and that's when I wake up. Pretty good dream, actually; this one had a plot, which most of the dreams I've had over the last month haven't, they've just been isolated action scenes.
     In the afternoon I had Comp II, which will be spectacular, unlike the Comp I disaster. Expectations are clearly spelled out, I love the format, I know what the teacher wants to read, it'll be fun. Hard at times, but fun. The teacher is very friendly and easy to talk with, seems a lot like Daniel. So then I was feeling so good about that, I decided to walk down to the track for a run, where I went a mile in 9:13.45. Thought that was all right for not ever running a mile all at once before, and I have a couple months or so before running a 5K, have to start somewhere, right? Actually, when you count the walk there and back, that comes to about three miles in 43 minutes.
     We have a fire drill.....I. Hate. Those. Nearly bowled over my RA getting outside, only to be told to use the fire escape, so back I flew and sailed down the rickety see-through grating on the stairs...I don't like fire escapes, either.
    
     Locked myself out of my room twice by mistake...so embarrassing. And I didn't even have a good excuse either time, I was just so tired I wasn't thinking.
     I really need a new hobby...walking long distances in rainy cold weather sounds lame.
     Ate at Chick-Fil-A three times this week, staying on average so far.
     I didn't have anything else to do(at all) for the first two days while waiting for school to start, so I read halfway through one of my textbooks. I get this email from Jessica Tuesday night: "You should be resting, not reading entire textbooks!" "I have been resting..." "Uh-huh...I'll believe that when it rains cherry tomatoes."
     American Idol's Season 12 starts Wednesday night at 7 p.m, not sure at all what to expect, but it should hopefully be an interesting ride. And of course that means the Wichita Gang discussion group.

     There was free hot chocolate being given out Friday morning, that was cool. And I still had no idea what was going on most of the time in Computers, but I don't think anyone else really did, either, so I guess that's good. After that, just packed up my laundry and watched some hockey on TV while waiting on my ride back home. After a long week of cold and rain, sunny pleasant temps were awesome.

     So, things are pretty much normal around here...first week of this semester is over with. Now about sixteen weeks left...

No comments:

Post a Comment