Friday, August 14, 2015

From the Blue Notebooks

     Since Stranger was discovered when "Snuggie Texts" went viral, I've been a frequent reader over the years. Eli's kept a record of some of his childhood journal entries, called "The Lost Journal Series".
     Off and on I occasionally tried keeping a journal in a couple of cheap blue spiral notebooks from Dollar General. If I have any editorial comments, I'll probably put those in [brackets]. I'll try to leave punctuation errors intact. This starts in early November 2008; I was a high school freshman, had been writing for the Oklahoma News Weekly for a little over a year, and the current homeschool-group show in production was "Joseph"; an interview-style musical look back at the life of Joseph(played by me, Cody Wright was the interviewer). At church, we'd just finished remodeling the building after meeting for eight months in a warehouse and Hardesty library, and the Soukups had left several months before. Josh and I had been talked into going to Missouri for church camp by Marie in July. In other words, my thinking and sense of priorities has changed a lot as I've matured..

     Saturday, 11-9-08
     Hey,
     I guess I'll try writing a journal, so here's the first entry.
     I went to Kyle Collins' b-day party today. It was pretty cool. Cody, Roy, Quentin[misspelled "Quinton"], Alton, Julie, Emily, Evan & Brenna were there. Talked to Brenna some. She's not bad looking(and I told her so). I think she was a little shocked, that'd never happened to her before. We're going to the Fergs for lunch after church tomorrow, so that's pretty cool. Also cool stuff, Beggs and Kiefer are in the playoffs! The Demons @ Stigler, the Trojans @ Copan. That's about it 4 me. Wonder if this Brenna Hollis thing'll go anywhere? Probably not, but ya never know. OSU's getting beat up by Texas Tech, but the Pokes are #9 right now!
     See ya,
     Wesley

     Thursday, 11-14-08
     Hey,
     Well, choir was yesterday. And really, it was a mess. Mrs. Wright's doing all she can, but really, it'll fall flat on it's face. Only 2 weeks to the program, and there is no way we'll be ready, without a miracle. We went over to the Lee's afterward. It's really nice. I called Maddie yesterday, it was kind of (read: very) awkward. I'm just not sure what to say with her, and vice versa. We missed church Wednesday. my wrist is messing with me again, it hurts.

     Friday, 12-5-08
     Hey,
     The program was last night. And really, it went pretty good. The Gastons are moving to Owasso Tuesday :( Things won't be the same around here without 'em. Some of us are ringing the Salvation Army bells at Wal-Mart today. We'll be FREEZING. That's it for me for now.

     Wednesday, 12-10-08
     Hey,
     Well, it's been a crazy week. I broke my pinky playing basketball after the program Thursday night, rang the bells Friday, missed church Sunday and tonight, and been bored stiff not being able to do anything. Oh, and we've cleaned a lot.

     Monday, 12-15-08
     Hey,
     Wow. I don't know what to say. There's so much happened, I'm not sure where to start. The fridge caught fire Thursday night at 11:15-11:20. Then Friday morning the dryer caught at 8:40 am, half the house was messed up. The Red Cross people got us fixed up at the Best Western in Okmulgee, so we stayed there for the weekend.

     Sunday, 1-11-09
     Hey,
     It's been 1 month since the fridge fire, and it's been crazy. I'm stressed, we're all worn out. Choir starts Thursday. The Hollises are out, and the Gastons moved, so that's 4 good and 2 pretty-good actors missing. And we might not do it, that that's possibly 8 out. They don't know what the script will be yet. Idol season 8 starts in 45 hours. I can't wait!!! :) Have 2 work on a copy of a story, "Cougar Country", for Annette. Later. [That story was written the previous fall, it was 39 single-spaced notebook pages written in pencil, and it was a rip-off of Facing the Giants. Since there wasn't a script, we figured that we ought to write one. That would have been why I was copying the original story. No script was ever written.]

     Monday, 1-12-09
     Well, one month since the fire today. And trouble still finds us. No, not trouble, trials. Yeah, that's it. Trials still find us. Eclipse got run over. Anything else need to go wrong? The fire, Eclipse, my pinky, Gastons & Hollises not doing choir, us maybe not doing it, Soukups staying in Bville, Mrs Estrada having cancer, losing my wallet(with $110 still in it), losing my recorder, a non-working iPod. Well, life's like a road that you travel on, and this section is some section from "Speed Racer". I'll look back at this some day, and well, what will I say, exactly? I'm worn out. Later. [My first poem, Ashes To Ashes, was written that night.]

     Wednesday, 1-29-09
     Hey,
     We had company over Tuesday, so we missed "Idol"(Louise & Harry's friends from Minnesota Jack and Teri). They were cool people. Teri and me talked about dogs, and Jack wired the Mall of America. Not all by himself, of course. And me and Jack talked about photography for a long time, & he showed pics of his grandkids, & we ate spaghetti in pitch dark. I'd write more, but I can't see what I'm writing right now. LOL :) (if you don't speak text, that means "Laugh Out Loud") [There was an ice storm on that week, and that night our generator went out 'cause of the cold. Louise and Harry's power was out before ours, so they all walked down to the road to our trailer because we had a gas stove.]

     Friday, 2-6-09
     Hey,
     Guess what? We ate at Del Rancho tonight. That chicken fried steak sandwich was good. Yum. Then we went to the AT&T store to get Mom a new phone, and we got Courtney a phone, too. And THEN we got text! Wow. Crazy, huh? [The ability to text was a big deal.]

     Saturday, 2-28-09
     Hey,
     It's been a very busy week. Counting church tomorrow, we'll have been someplace 9 out of the last 10 days. In remodeling news, they took off and reshingled the roof, Sport attacked a worker, & we had another church workday. I heard Mrs. Soukup's training to be a nursing assistant(do they really need those?) Matt Breitzke got kicked off "Idol" (drat). In Webkinz news, they released series 4 trading cards, Fuzzy Frog's had a sad, tough week, and Allison Lab can drive now. In camp news, Daniel Noah just challenged us to read an entire NT book in one sitting. Stuff 2 do tomorrow: go to church, go to Beggs, clean up around there, read the paper, get 2 articles written, & read a whole NT book at once. And I thought Sunday was a day of rest! LOL :) Oh well, I should get to sleep soon. [9 out of 10 days traveling....that was more than usual, but that pretty much summed up life right there. School was fit in when there was time. Sport was our extremely protective Australian Shepherd. Webkinz was a very big deal then. Those mentioned were contacts, sort of like online-only Facebook friends before Facebook became Facebook. Those articles were probably about the start of tennis season.]

     Monday, 4-20-09
     Hey,
     Wow, I haven't wrote in awhile, huh? Okay, well, let's see. Electric is done on the house, plumbing almost is. Caleb had eye surgery week before last, the Soukups might be moving to Glenpool, oh, right. The paper was sold. Anyway, I set a new speed record 4 myself this afternoon. From the time Coach Truesdale[Truesdell] called 2 the time I sent in the finished article to Valerie[my editor], it was under a hour. Lots more has happened, but I'll wait to tell about those.

     Thursday, 5-7-09
     Hey,
     Well, it's been a good day. The program was tonight, & it was good. Not hysterical or anything, but good. And sure, it wasn't perfect, but they tried & did their best. Oh, there was a new girl, Jessica Best. I heard she's from Florida. Me & Quinton thought it could have been a little better(okay, we're biased :) Talked to Brenna some. I can't quite figure out what, but that something still seems to be there. Good grief, that sounds strange. Anyway, the sheetrockers started today. Minnie might have got squashed, and the Soukups moved to Glenpool two weeks ago!! Yay :) It's getting late, I better go. [Minnie was one of Meowie's first kittens; Meowie was the first cat we had who stayed a long time. That program was "The Hysterical History of the Trojan War", and years later JB married Quinton and Brenna's brother Alton.]

     Monday, 5-11-09
     Hey,
     It's Caleb's birthday today. He got shot by Courtney with her BB gun. Amy's been learning how to stand up. Trish is visiting. The sheetrock is on the house, we threw the scraps out Friday night. We got a old trunk at a garage sale Saturday, Caleb got a BB gun. Minnie did get run over :( sniffle. So, all of the original 5 cats(Meowie, Cheyenne, Daisy, Princess, Minnie) are gone. Princess and Cheyenne disappeared, Meowie died of an infection from kittenbirth, & Daisy & Minnie wee run over. [That trunk was really hard to figure out how to wedge into the back of the minivan. The lady we bought it from was the widow of Mom's childhood dentist. Also, Tahlequah has amazing garage sales.]

     Tuessday, 5-19-09
     Hey,
     It's been a very....full day. We left for Beggs at 9, got there, helped the restoration people load stuff in the barn, waited 3 hours for Mr Wooley, the cabinet guy, to get here, finally he came, & Mom hates the cabinets. Then we took the dimensions to the granite place, where there was this cat. It looked a little like Dot. Which was sad. And which brought up Maddie, cause she really liked Dot. Why can I not get over her? I try, but somehow she always creeps back in. Then we went to the library. I couldn't find the book I was looking for, and there was these twins, not exactly pretty, but sort of, and, well, I froze. Why do I always freeze up around pretty girls? It's very annoying. When we got home, Idol was a letdown, my application email to VYPE didn't send, it's 11 & Caleb & Trevor are wide awake, Mom's still upset, and its too hot to sleep. Great day, huh? PS: The house looks like the farm[in Westville] (depressing), Maddie told me not to tell anyone, but they might be moving - again - and I'm frustrated I haven't gotten my permit yet. [Yeah....this day was really rough. The cabinets not being right was a HUGE deal. Little dramatic about Maddie, yeah. But I was fifteen. I still tend to do that around girls... VYPE was a high school sports magazine started in Tulsa, but which quickly branched out into multiple states. DMVs are impossible...it was one of the growing pains of this year.]

     Thursday, 5-21-09
     Hey,
     Guess what? We're going to the Idols Live concert at the BOK Center!!! It's in July, the day I get back from camp, actually. Trish got us the tix, Vonda's coming too, & Damon might. I'll write more later. :) [If you haven't noticed, American Idol was a huge part of life.]

     Wednesday, 5-27-09
     Hey,
     OK, well, yesterday Valerie wanted me to write something about Coach Truesdell getting the Coach of the Year award, & then she told me that she's moving over to the Henryetta Free Lance to publish it, & she wanted to hire me! With pay, I might add. As Annette would say, I'm just, like, so exciterated! Not sure on all details yet, but Valerie starts June 8. Oh, yeah, Roy's 16 today.

     11:03 PM Thursday, 5-28-09
     Hey,
     Well, it's my last hour of being 15. It's been a big year, for a ovibous[obvious] reason. I've learned a lot, about people, how they react, things like that. I've also learned about me. What will this next year bring? Oh, we got a Wii today! Courtney is yelling(well, sort of) at me 2 get to sleep and quit writing. [The Wii was the brand-new video-game system at the time, so that was a big deal. Courtney and I shared a bedroom at the trailer.]

     Thursday, 6-4-09
     Hey,
     6 months since I broke my pinky. Things sure have changed, huh? We need to paint soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment